Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Twyla on Tuesday

Hello friends!
This week I wanted to tell you about a special
hometown treasure that Lindsey and I enjoy regularly.


(photo by New York Times)


Springfield, MO is the hometown of Brad Pitt and the bachelor,
Aaron Buerge.  We've never met Brad, but he does come to
town once in awhile.  We've had a few Aaron sightings.


(photo by New York Times)


The treasure that I wanted to bring to your attention today
though, is Cashew Chicken!
I understand that there are many versions of cashew chicken, but
what I'm talking about is 'Springfield Style Cashew Chicken'.
Philadelphia has it's cheesesteak, Chicago has it's pizza, but
Springfield is the capitol of Cashew Chicken!



(photo by New York Times) 

Breaded chicken chunks, breaded and fried.  Smothered in
oyster sauce and served with fried rice!
It was invented by a local resturanteur about 50 years ago
and there are now around 70 resturants in town serving this
delicious dish.


(photo by us.chinesesmenu.com)


Our favorite place to enjoy this dish is Canton Inn.
If you ever find yourself through our lovely town,
please slow down long enough to experience this
delicacy!

Wishing you much happiness!
Twyla


6 comments:

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Twyla:
Just getting in a little late-night reading before bed. Now my stomach's growling! LOVE cashew chicken!
Hope you have a nice week.
xoxo
Donna

GardenOfDaisies said...

That's so funny that Springfield's favorite dish is cashew chicken. No one would have guessed that as typical Ozark food. Catfish maybe. LOL!!
I do love it, so maybe I should head on down there.

Michelle said...

YUM!!! I would love some good Chinese food! Hard to find in Wisconsin!! LOL

Theresa said...

CHINESE, YUMMMMMMM... my favorite! We have a buffet that is so delicious! I always choose to eat there for my Birthday:)

Have a blessed day ladies! HUGS!

bonnies junk in the trunk said...

oh my gosh ... i'm starving now ... looks soooo deeelicious!
:o)

Rizzi said...

I LOVE CHINESE FOOD, WE HAVE A GREAT TAKE OUT PLACE WHERE WE LIVE, BUT ON OUR WAY DOWN TO LONG BEACH ISLAND THERE IS A CHINESE BUFFET, WHICH IS EXCELLENT. CASHEW CHICKEN IS VERY DELICIOUS. HAVE A NICE DAY. RIZZI